2009年12月4日 星期五

Week 4 Day 5

Want to Run for Office?
In recent years, we have seen the phenomenon of incumbent politicians retireing in record numbers. When interviewed, many of them admitted that they had lost their taste for the job because of the abuse to which an aspirant for office is subjected.
Words
1. phenomenon 現象
2. incumbent現任的,在職的
3. abuse 濫用,辱罵,毀謗

"My last campaign was a sordid affair in which my opponents did everything to belittle my record and air scurrilous charges about my private life," said one congressman. "I don't have to stand still for such treatment," he added, "which was terribly embarrassing to me and my entire family."

Citizen groups, appalled by the candidates' mudslinging, have sought to do something about the situation. Committees have been formed in a number of states to study ways to elevate the tone of the process, reduce the emotionalism, and eliminate the frenzy of name calling that is generated as election day draws near.
Words
1. appal 使驚駭
2. mudslinging 揭發隱私

"Unless we clean up this mess," said the chairman of an Illinois caucus, "we will lose the best and the brightest from the political arena. After all, who but a masochist wants to be a punching bag, the subject of daily vilification in the media, and a target for every malcontent in town?"
Words
1. masochist 被虐待狂
2. vilification 誹謗
3. malcontent 不滿者,反抗者

沒有留言:

張貼留言